Saturday, August 6, 2011

Initial Description About My First Two Classes

I planned to post proactively -- before and/or as I was attending my first semester; however, my website was being re-vamped (to include this blog), and time just got away from me.  So, I'm entering posts about my first semester reactively -- which may be nicer in the end as it will allow me to be a little more reflective!  

In past tense...

The first two classes were supposed to be Orientation and History of Interiors; however, there were not enough who enrolled to form the Orientation class, and it was cancelled. So, upon the advice of the program director, I substituted it with Textiles for Interiors and I'll be picking up Orientation in the Fall. 

The course description for History of Interiors included a comprehensive study of architecture and period furnishing from prehistoric through American Art-Deco periods. Major political, religious, and art movements that influenced the Interior Design profession were also included. 

The course description for Textiles for Interiors introduced us to the textile styles, properties, testing, and appropriate uses in Interior Design.  

Both of these classes were just great!  I really enjoyed them so much, and I really learned a lot.  Having taken them has really helped me pay much more attention to architecture around me and to textiles in my every day world -- from furniture, to clothing, and certainly to the interiors of every room I enter.  I have a whole new appreciation for these things and I just love having more in-depth knowledge about their construction.  

I never seriously thought about it before, but both architecture and textiles stem from having been constructed.   ...a no-brainer about the origin of a building (having been c-o-n-s-t-r-u-c-t-e-d), I know; but, I just never thought about fabric being constructed, too.  Fabric was just fabric -- colorful, plain or patterned, textured or not so much, etc..., but now I see it as f-a-b-r-i-c -- having a classification and a fiber family, having fiber content, constructed a certain way, having a certain weight and usage, and certain qualities that enable it to be used and applied among very specific purposes.  I just think it's so exciting to discover a whole new reason for appreciating architecture, interiors, and the textiles that fill them; so, I hope I do them all at least a little bit of justice by sharing some interesting things about them.

In my next post, I will begin sharing some of the wonderful things I've learned so far about the history of interiors and about textiles in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment